This summer will go down in our family history as the one where I made all the popsicles. From Bomb Pops to Ring Pops, I’ve blended, poured and frozen just about everything in our fruit basket…and it’s only July!
Chocolate Dipped Banana Pops are the latest frozen confection I’ve added to my list. These clean treats are quick and easy to make, and only require three ingredients:
Your topping(s) of choice
I’m not going to lie: I totally had a stupid, seventh grade chuckle as I held my banana halves on their sticks for dipping. Actually, “sticks” is a misnomer; I used paper straws! Here in the hippie dippie crunchy Bay Area, they were actually easier to come by than popsicle sticks. Bonus: they look fun and festive!
If you choose to go this route, make sure you use straws with some heft to them. I was a naughty shopper and opened the box to check them out before purchasing. These didn’t bend or snap when I pushed on them gently, and they don’t bend or flop under the weight of the banana halves.
The only drawback is their round shape, as it can cause the banana to rotate when you’re dipping it. (Cue more schoolgirl giggles as my banana flopped around in the chocolate.) To solve this problem, I froze my bananas for about an hour before dipping them so the sticks would, er, stick!
Chocolate Dipped Banana Toppings
Let your taste buds be your guide when it comes to topping your frozen nanners! I used chopped macadamias, shredded coconut, and sprinkles. Here are some more ideas:
Maldon sea salt
Freeze dried berries
I’d love to see what you come up with! If you try this recipe, let me know! Leave a comment, or post and tag @freshandlively on Instagram.
Mobile Users: don’t see the recipe? Click below!Print
Chocolate-Dipped Banana Pops
This easy, healthy frozen treat comes together with just three ingredients! Just dip, top, and freeze your way to chocolate-covered banana deliciousness!
- Prep Time: 15 Minutes
- Cook Time: 25 Hours
- Total Time: 25 Hours and 15 Minutes
- Yield: 8 1x
- 1 c dairy-free dark chocolate chips (I like Enjoy Life)
- 4c bananas, halved
- 3/4 c topping(s) of choice. (I used macadamias, coconut, and sprinkles)
- Insert popsicle sticks or paper straws into the cut side of the banana halves. Freeze for at least one hour.
- Once bananas are frozen, use a microwave or double boiler to melt the chocolate.
- Dip the bananas in melted chocolate, twirling gently until evenly coated. If needed, use a spatula to carefully spread the chocolate down the banana, taking care not to burn yourself.
- Sprinkle the banana in toppings and place on a parchment-lined baking sheet.
- Freeze for at least 45 min, then enjoy!