For me, summer barbecues are all about sunshine, cold fruit salad, and meat on the bone. But when it comes to bone-in meats, low and slow is generally best…and I’d rather be socializing than sweating over the grill. That’s why I make these Marinated Drumsticks With Italian Herbs in the oven. They’re delicious served hot or cold, which makes them perfect to make ahead or bring to a potluck, no grill-tending required!
About This Recipe:
This roasted chicken was inspired by a dish I enjoyed at a friend’s house almost 10 years ago. Independence Day in the Bay Area is often cold and foggy, but that particular year saw clear skies and warm temperatures, so we ended up going out on a friend’s boat to cool off. Afterwards, her dad served some of the best drumsticks I’d ever eaten. When I asked about his marinade, he simply shrugged and said, “Italian dressing straight out of the bottle.” Mind. Blown.
Since then, I’ve been whipping up my own Italian, letting the chicken soak up its flavors overnight. As with most marinated meats, the process couldn’t be simpler: just mix the ingredients in a bowl, add the meat, toss to coat, and let it sit for the designated time period.
A quick word to the wise: marinating your chicken longer is not necessarily better. In fact, the longest I recommend allowing your chicken to marinate is overnight. That’s because the acid in this (or any) marinade can make the meat turn stringy if it’s left on for too long. You know how citrus juice “cooks” ceviche? It’s the same idea….but minus the delicious, safe-to-eat result. You can learn more about it here.
If you try this recipe, let me know! Leave a comment, or post and tag @freshandlively on Instagram.
Marinated Drumsticks With Italian Herbs
Whether you’re hosting a summer barbecue or bringing food to someone else’s, these juicy and flavorful drumsticks belong on the menu! They’re quick, easy, and Whole 30-approved!
- Prep Time: 50 Minutes
- Cook Time: 40 Minutes
- Total Time: 90 Minutes
- Yield: 4 for dinner, 6 for snacks 1x
- 10 chicken drumsticks, skin on
- 1/2 c avocado oil
- 1/4 c white wine vinegar
- 1/2 tbsp lemon juice
- 2 garlic cloves, smashed
- 1 tsp dried oregano
- 1 tsp dried basil
- 1/2 tsp onion powder
- 1/2 tsp crushed red bepper
- 1/2 tsp ground black pepper
- 1/2 tsp lemon zest
- 1 tsp Kosher salt
- Remove the chicken from packaging and pat dry. Set aside.
- In a bowl, mix the rest of the ingredients and whisk until the marinade is in suspension. Add the chicken and toss until coated.
- Marinate in the refrigerator for at least 45 minutes, or up to overnight.
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees and line a baking sheet with parchment paper or a Silpat.
- Remove the drumsticks from the marinade and remove excess. Place on baking sheet and cook 30-40 minutes, or until their internal temperature reaches 165 F.
- Serve immediately.