Make your own paleo baking flour in minutes with this easy 4-ingredient blend! While I didn’t invent this blend, it’s my go-to gluten-free flour recipe for making breads, muffins, cookies and other baked goods.
5 Reasons Why This Is the BEST Homemade Paleo Baking Flour
Commercial flour blends are handy, I prefer to spend a few minutes making my own on an as-needed basis. Here’s why:
- It’s versatile. This is the best paleo baking flour recipe I’ve found for general purpose baking, which is why you’ll find it r in most of my bread, muffin, and cookie recipes.
- It’s easy. Making it is as simple as throwing the ingredients in a bowl, mixing them together, and sifting to combine.
- It creates a perfect texture. Many paleo baking flour blends I’ve tried yield recipes that seem under-baked due to the high moisture content in the almond flour. Not this one! The results I get with this blend are the closest to regular flour of all the ones I’ve tried.
- It keeps well. This DIY paleo baking flour can be stored in a cool, dry place for a long time. I check the expiration dates on my ingredients before blending and mark my storage container with the earliest one to ensure I don’t end up with rancid flour.
- The ingredients are versatile. I know buying four types of flour might be a tough sell when you’ve got limited pantry space. But each one of these ingredients has many uses within your paleo or gluten-free lifestyle and can be purchased for less in bulk via online stores like Thrive Market.
About The Ingredients
While this homemade paleo flour blend is made with just four nutritious ingredients that can be used for so much more than this recipe! Let me break it down for you:
- Almond flour. The nutty flavor. The healthy fat. The added protein content. There are so many reasons why almond flour belongs in every healthy kitchen. While it works great alone in certain recipes (such as this spiced banana bread) its high moisture content means it needs some fiber-full friends to mimic the results of regular flour. I also like to use almond flour in lieu of breading when I bake or air fry foods, and also in lieu of bread crumbs when making meatloaf and meatballs.
- Coconut flour. The extremely high fiber content of this gluten-free flour means you can’t substitute 1:1 for regular flour. (Hence the blend!) However, it’s great for coating chicken and fish before battering them to fry, and can also be used in a roux to thicken sauces.
- Tapioca flour. When used in baking, tapioca flour creates a light and airy texture with a hint of chewiness. It’s also a great thickener when you want to make a silky sauce from the leftover liquid in your slow cooker.
- Arrowroot flour. This is an absolutely fantastic substitute for corn starch and is also perfect for dredging meats and veggies before frying.
What To Make With Paleo Flour
Some of my favorite recipes with paleo flour are:
- Raspberry Shortbread Bars
- Healthy Lemon Blueberry Muffins
Let’s Make This!
- Almond Flour (NOT almond meal, which has a much larger grain)
- Coconut Flour
- Tapioca Flour
- Airtight Storage Container
HOW TO MAKE THIS HOMEMADE PALEO BAKING FLOUR RECIPE
- Place all of the ingredients in a bowl and whisk well.
Pro tip: When measuring flour, I always use the dip and scoop method where you scoop the flour directly from the container using your measuring cup, then tap it gently and level it off with a knife. Using any method other than this can unwittingly pack your flour too densely and throw off your baking ratios.
- Pour the mixed flour into a sifter and sift onto a clean surface. I like to use parchment paper because it makes it easier to pour into a storage container.
- Store the sifted flour into an airtight container such as a glass Mason jar. Keep it in a cool, dry place and use as needed.
More Healthy Baking Recipes Like this:
- Homemade Oat Flour
- My Guide To Healthy Baking
Paleo Baking Flour Recipe
This easy DIY grain-free flour recipe is a pantry staple for all of your Paleo baked goods. It’s the best blend I’ve found for mimicking the chewiness and crumb of traditional baked goods.
- Prep Time: 5 min
- Total Time: 5 minutes
- Yield: 4c 1x
- Category: Baking
- Cuisine: Paleo
- Diet: Gluten Free
1 1/2c almond flour
1c arrowroot flour
1c coconut flour
1/2c tapioca flour
- Place all of the ingredients in a bowl and whisk until thoroughly combined.
- Pour the combined flours into a sifter and sift onto parchment paper.
- Pour sifted flour into an airtight container and store in a cool, dry place.
Keywords: Paleo Baking Flour Recipe, grain-free flour recipe, homemade gluten free flour