It’s rare that a week goes by without the savory smell of roasted chicken wafting from our kitchen. Whether I’m entertaining or doing weekly meal prep, cooking a whole bird is one of my favorite ways to prepare a lot of protein with minimal hands-on time. This recipe for Roasted Chicken With Lemon And Basil has been a summer favorite of mine for years.
The basic method is inspired by Ina Garten’s famous Perfect Roast Chicken. As far as I’m concerned, her recipe is unrivaled! When cooked in this way, the chicken always comes out perfectly cooked: juicy and almost falling off the bone with crispy, aromatic skin. There’s no babysitting your bird or basting. All you do is preheat your oven, prep the chicken, and let it cook.
The ease with which I can achieve such consistently perfect results has made this a go-to for entertaining. My guests arrive at my home to the mouthwatering aroma of roasting chicken and a relaxed hostess who is free to sit down with them and enjoy an appetizer and a glass of wine.
My recipe differs from Ina Garten’s in its spice profile. Every summer, I plant at least two basil plants in the sunniest spot in my vegetable garden. They grow big and bushy, with huge, fragrant leaves that I harvest by the handful. To me, their taste is the essence of summer, which is why I love to infuse my roasted chicken with their sweet and aromatic flavor.
To make my Roasted Chicken With Basil And Lemon, you’ll need:
A whole chicken, like the one that comes with my Butcher Box subscription
A giant handful of fresh basil
Avocado oil or Ghee
Salt + Pepper
I often roast carrots and potatoes in the pan with the chicken for a one-pan meal, but this dish is also excellent with my Roasted Summer Vegetables With Balsamic Vinegar, or a bright and flavorful salad tossed in Healthy Homemade Ranch Dressing.
If you try this recipe, let me know! Leave a comment, or post and tag @freshandlively on Instagram.
Mobile Users: don’t see the recipe? Click below!Print
Roasted Chicken With Lemon And Basil
This easy summer recipe may look fancy, but it’s perfect for beginners! This savory dish requires very little hands-on time, making it perfect for weeknights or entertaining.
- Prep Time: 10 Minutes
- Cook Time: 1 Hour & 30 Minutes
- Total Time: 1 Hour & 40 Minutes
- Yield: 6 1x
- 1 head of garlic, sliced in half horizontally
- 1 onion, halved
- 2 lemons
- 4 stems of fresh basil leaves plus 1 1/2 tbsp minced fresh basil
- 2 tbsp ghee, melted
- salt and pepper to taste
- Preheat oven to 425
- Remove chicken from packaging. Pull giblets out of the cavity (if included) and save for another recipe. Pat skin and cavity dry.
- Halve one lemon, and zest the other. Juice the zested lemon. Set aside.
- Salt and pepper the chicken cavity, then stuff with garlic onion, lemon, and basil stems. Tie the legs shut with butcher’s twine.
- In a small bowl, mix together the ghee, lemon juice, lemon zest, and minced basil. Whisk with a fork until the sauce is in suspension, then use a brush the mixture all over outside of the chicken. Sprinkle with salt and pepper.
- Place in a roasting pan with wing tips tucked under and roast in the preheated oven for 90 minutes, rotating the pan 180 degrees halfway through to make sure the skin browns evenly.
- Remove from oven, cover with aluminum foil and let cool for 20 minutes before serving.