When the weather starts to heat up, I double down on seasonal sides that can be enjoyed hot or cold, depending on the weather. And while summer’s bounty offers so many fresh flavors, I’d also rather spend my time outside than slaving away in the kitchen. Such was the inspiration for my Roasted Summer Vegetables With Balsamic Vinegar. This easy, seasonal side is delicious when served hot with a roasted chicken or grilled steak, or enjoyed cold at a neighborhood barbecue.
Here’s how it’s made!
The magic is all in the marinade! To make these roasted summer vegetables, you’ll need five basic ingredients:
When buying balsamic vinegar, I prefer brands that are thick and almost glaze-like. Calivirgin makes a beautiful barrel-aged balsamic, and my local Nugget Market’s house brand, Fresh to Market, is also delicious and affordable. I find the syrupy consistency of these two helps it to incorporate with the oil more easily and also coat the veggies better.
Once you’ve mixed your balsamic marinade, all you have to do is pour it over a selection of sliced summer vegetables, let it sit for 45 minutes, then pop it into a preheated oven. When they’re done, top them with a handful of chopped fresh herbs such as basil and oregano, and you’re ready to serve!
This hands-off dish is perfect for entertaining, or for those hot summer days when sitting on the porch with a glass of wine sounds much more appealing than babysitting pots and pans.
Let me know if you try this recipe! Comment below, or post a pic on Instagram and tag @freshandlively!
Mobile Users: don’t see the recipe? Click below!Print
Roasted Summer Vegetables With Balsamic Vinegar
Whip up this easy, flavorful side for your next neighborhood barbecue, or weeknight dinner! This healthy, hands-off dish can be enjoyed hot or cold.
- Prep Time: 50 minutes
- Cook Time: 40 Minutes
- Total Time: 90 Minutes
- Yield: 6 1x
- Diet: Vegetarian
- 1/4 c EVOO
- 3 tbsp balsamic vinegar
- 1 1/2 tsp shallots, minced
- salt and pepper to taste
- 2 red bell peppers, cut into 1/2 in slices
- 2 zucchini, halved lengthwise and cut into 1/2inch coins
- 1 red onion, cut into 1/2 in wedges
- Whisk the marinade ingredients together in a bowl until the balsamic is in suspension.
- Add prepared vegetables and toss until coated. Cover and set aside for at least 45 minutes, or refrigerate and let sit overnight.
- Preheat oven to 325 and line a cookie sheet with parchment or Silpat and spread the marinated vegetables in a single, even layer. Bake for 35-40 minutes until bell peppers and onions have softened.
- Enjoy as is, or top with a handful of fresh garden herbs.